5 STEPS ON HOW TO STAY HEALTHY
When we travel we basically leave our routine behind, our time to wake up or go to bed, read the news, clean the house, do the laundry and what we usually eat. We want to try different types of food and drink, buy unusual snacks, skip meals, maybe even go more often to fast food joints. So how can we stay healthy while traveling?
Sometimes exercising may be off the list, but I’ll take it you’ll walk a lot depending on where you’re traveling to, but what you eat has a huge impact on how you’ll feel during and after the trip.
I’m here to share with you what I do to try to keep my eating habits healthy even while I’m traveling. Just remember I’m no health specialist or nutritian, I’m just a traveler trying not to mess up so much with my diet.
1. Water: the best drink you can have. Try to carry bottled water so you can sip it every now and then. If you refill it with tap water, make sure its drinkable first. If you must drink during your meals, try to avoid alcohol or sodas so you don’t feel bloated.
2. Yogurt: let’s be honest, poop habits change too when we travel, so it might be of some help to have some yogurt in the morning. But it needs to be one of those healthy ones!
3. Fruits: they give you energy, nutrients, make you in a good mood and they’re delicious. Make sure you eat at least one type of fruit everyday. In case you are not so sure about the hygiene habits of where you are, try to buy fruits that you need to peel, like bananas, pineapple, oranges, avocado, kiwis, and maybe avoid strawberries, cherries and grapes, otherwise, wash them real good.
4. Don’t skip lunch: if you are anything like me you’ll skip lunch while traveling without even noticing, but don’t. If you can't stop to have a proper meal, one alternative is to eat a sandwich (that maybe you prepared yourself before leaving), or some cheese and crackers (no problem in finding these items at any store). But you have to eat something for lunch, otherwise you’ll be starving at night and will end up at a fast food restaurant, or even worse you may have low blood pressure during the day and faint. No one wants that to happen while traveling.
5. Avoid bitting more than you can chew: we are traveling, that means we are eating things we normally don't eat, at some point gluttony may take you to the dark side. Avoid bitting more than you can chew is advice for life! Eat until a point you're satisfied, not full. Eat to savor your drink or food, enjoying the moment. Small portions and eating slowly are key for good digestion.
I'm sure you can follow these 5 easy steps on how to stay healthy while traveling. You'll feel good during and after your trip without having to make any sacrifice. So be healthy and keep on traveling!